Friday, April 3, 2009

Elevator Efficiency

So in an attempt to write more interestingly on my blog, I've made a little note on the side of my desktop about things to write about.

So mushrooms. If you guys know me or have eaten with me a couple times, you know I really like eating mushrooms. For some reason, though, the normal mushrooms I eat in the US I've never actually had in China. Apparently they are called button mushrooms Here is a picture:

In China, and I'm definitely not complaining about this, all the mushrooms I eat are 香菇. I wonder what that is in English. According to Google Translator (which is the third result if you google translator, oddly enough), its translated as Dried Mushroom. I'm sure they are fresh sometimes though. Anyway, I eat a lot of them and they look like this:

Also, I eat a ton of eggs. I think the only thing for sure I'm coming back from China with (besides my person and a suitcase or two) is high cholesterol. Honestly I love eggs so much. I eat a Chinese egg crepe (the eggs aren't particularly Chinese, but I think the style of crepe is) like every night. Eggs are (wonderfully) an all day food here. I really like using parentheses.

Okay, the cover/title story: elevator efficiency. My dormitory has five elevators. Two on each side of the main corridor and one in the back which I think technically is a service elevator, but is actually no different than the other four except perhaps in smell. Each of the pairs of elevators is controlled independently from the other, ie. if you push the up button on one side, it doesn't register for the other, or for the service elevator in the back. The back service elevator and one of the pairs shuts down at midnight. Oh, and for some odd reason, sometimes if you press down at any given floor, both of the elevators on that side might open their doors for you, and not simultaneously.

Okay, that is all just to say that the program that these elevators are run on seem totally and unecessarily inefficient, and it drives me nuts. I have a hobby of betting on a side to see which side will come first, but most people in their haste push down or up on both sides, step in the first elevator to arrive, and let the other side stop there unnecessarily. I know it isn't a big deal, but it bugs me. I feel like someone should come here, link all the elevators up to one program, make it effecient, and then...well finish. Ahh! Okay that was it, I just wanted to share that with the world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that, sounds like angelo.

jenchiu said...

Angelo, you DEFINITELY write like you talk. It's pretty amazing. =)