Tuesday, April 14, 2009

黑人牙膏

So first, I wanted to say how honored I am that Jen Chiu reads my blog. So very honored.

Anyway, it's been eleven days since I've updated my blog, but I had several things I wanted to mention. First, church here is so interesting! Without being particularly negative, I was very astonished at something I saw on Palm Sunday here. I was sitting with a couple friends maybe in the fifth or so pew. Two pews ahead, and almost directly in front of me, there was what seemed to be an Asian married couple who were seriously just making out during worship. Just like all over each others' faces. Honestly? It's just so weird to see two people straight up mouth on mouth action in a pew at church with a possible 600 people glancing at you. Oh, and the guy had a man-purse. I feel like that makes the scene just that much more ridiculous. I can see holding hands, or even hugging, but making out? Too much. I couldn't stop myself from bursting out into uproarious laughter. I think my friends were more ashamed by my laughing than by the couple. The cherry on top is that right after worship ended, the couple grabbed all their stuff and either left or got seats in the back. I like to pretend the first because it makes the story that much better. As a sidenote, I think it's interesting that the worship director plays the keyboards/drum machine every week. That's right. He plays the drum machine.

Tangentially, I think one of my favorite introduce yourself+random question random questions is what toothpaste you prefer to use. Prefer, because sometimes you just can't get it. For some reason, I've always been a Colgate Total person. The idea of 12 hours of protection, even if it's just a marketing gimmick, is somehow really reassuring for me. Also, I think it tastes pretty good. Anyway, I've been to a couple more people's places around here, and in using their bathrooms, have noticed a semi-disturbing trend. Apparently, Darlie Toothpaste is very popular here. In Chinese, Darlie Toothpaste is called 黑人牙膏, which for my non-Chinese reading audience means Black People Toothpaste. I guess I'm more racially sensitive than the average Chinese guy, but that just seems ridiculous. But also ridiculously amusing. The Wikipedia link above is quite enlightening though. Here is a picture of what it looks like:

I just think that's really funny and also very ridiculous.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

mate, the language used is so much like you.

thanks for updating.

Jeanie said...

so one thing led to another from perry's blog, and here i am reading about your adventures in china... anyway, i saw the picture of 黑人牙膏 and thought it looked strangely familiar. i turned the computer screen toward my mom and ask her if she's ever used it && she said, YEAH! back in china before i came to the states. LMAO. (and i think my grandparents might use it... hence why it looked familiar XD)