Monday, February 23, 2009

Unabated Anger

I'm having a lot of fun making blog entry titles. This one is really accurate. I would say I'm generally not an angry person, and according to close friends, when I am angry, I'm a kind of sulky angry. Anyway, right now I'm a violent kind of angry. I seriously CANNOT believe that the semester I'm in China RJD2 comes to campus. This Friday. And I'm not there. And I know Middlebury has a history of people just going to see a concert because it's a concert, which has previously made performers unhappy. RJD2 is one of my favorite artists ever. UNABATED ANGER. I'm SO pissed. Anyway, I hope it passes quickly. I'm gonna make up for this by seeing him at least four times in the next two years. Anyway, for my Middlebury readers (I hope there are a lot of you), can you do me a favor? 1. Get a ticket to the show, borrow a video camera from the library, get a tape, and record the show. Then show it to me after I get back to school. 2. Ask MCAB to record the concert (if you/they don't know how I can tell you how). Please. Seriously.

Anyway, in my effort to regularly post twice a week, I've been trying to think of interesting thoughts to write here. I want to talk about how often I'm walking. It's a lot. I walk a little less than half an hour each way from and to class, which means its about a mile each way. I also walk to get all my meals. Then, of course, there's all the walking I do from my desk to the bathroom or my bed. Anyway, I walk a lot. I like it. I guess that wasn't as interesting as it seemed in my head.

Oh yeah another thing. I dress like a slob compared to people here. Based upon my observations in China, Americans (and sort of Canadians by extension?) are the sloppiest dressed people in the world. Or at least the developed world. I've been wearing my foursquare hoodie around everywhere and I seriously look like scruffy. Definitely not up to the standards of Chinese fashion. It was most obvious at church on Sunday. Even in the US, I'm generally the worst dressed person at Memorial Baptist (in Middlebury) and at Good Shepherd (at home). I've been wearing sweaters and button/collar shirts here, but wearing a sweatshirt on top of that was pretty not aesthetically pleasing. The guys there looked good, but the girls looked really good. The young women at my church are really good looking. Like really good looking. I can't really believe it. Anyway, that is to say I really need to put myself together and dress to...impress? Or at least not stick out due to my poor clothing choice.

I am getting back into a soul/neo-soul groove. I want a thick voice. Thick like gravy. A gravy-like voice. I would even settle for like an au jus-like voice. While I've been in China, my Chinese has definitely improved, but I'm surprised about the degree to which my English has degenerated. Sometimes when I think of words, I can't think of it in English or in Chinese. That's just bad.

1 comment:

Michael said...

rjd2! can't believe it